01 Jan 2021 •
Cooks in 45mins
- 1 litre good quality, strong chicken or pork stock - if using stock cubes use pork or chicken. They are roughly 10g each, so for 1 litre add 3 or 4
- 10 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 heaped tsp fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 small pork fillet (about 350g) free of silver skin and any fat
- 200g cooked rice vermicelli or noodles
- 200g beansprouts
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 1 small bunch Thai Basil
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- Juice 2 large limes
- Sliced fresh red chilli
- Soy sauce (to serve, optional)
- Extra lime (to serve, optional)
- Extra herbs as above (to serve, optional)
- Place the stock (or water and cubes) into a large saucepan and heat until just simmering.
- Next add the onions, chilli, garlic, fish sauce and sugar and a little salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut the pork into very thin slices across the fillet then into 4 and add to the stock. The pork will cook almost straight away, and stir well.
- Add the noodles and beansprouts and bring back to the simmer and turn off the heat.
- Roughly chop the herbs and add to the pho along with the juice from the lime and serve straight away.
- You can serve a little soy sauce with the pho if you want along with extra lime, herbs and even more chilli.
Credit: This Morning ITV