Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1-1.5hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 225g/8oz beef mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 125g/4oz smoked bacon lardons
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- salt and pepper
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add half the mince. Cook over a high heat to colour the meat, breaking up any lumps with the back of a fork. Repeat with the rest of the mince and drain off any fat.
Heat the oil in another large pan and cook the onion, carrot and green pepper until they start to soften.
Stir in the garlic, bacon lardons and the herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and the wine and season well.
Add the mince and simmer gently for 40-50 minutes until thick. Use to make lasagne or serve with pasta.
Credit: BBC Good Food