Voyages Jules Verne

Travel Information


Health & Vaccinations Health facilities, hygiene and disease risk vary worldwide. You should take health advice about your specific needs as early as possible and ensure that vaccinations or preventative measures such as anti-Malarial tablets are taken early enough (which may be a month or more prior to departure) to be fully effective at the time of travel. Sources of information include the Department of Health free leaflet ‘Health Advice for Travelers’ (available on request), your GP or local specialist clinic. Medication Always carry your medication in your hand luggage and carry a sufficient quantity for your time away from home. If you suffer from a medical condition, which may require treatment while on holiday, ask your doctor to provide you with a letter with full details of your ailment. Standards of treatment vary from country to country and pre-existing conditions are not normally covered by holiday insurance. We would also recommend the following items for your personal first-aid kit:

• Anti-diarrhea tablets
• Indigestion tablets
• Travel sickness pills
• General antiseptic cream
• Painkillers
• Insect repellent

Deep Vein Thrombosis
The risk of deep vein thrombosis occurring while traveling by air is extremely low. However, there are a number of precautions you can take to further reduce risk. What is deep vein thrombosis? Any travel involving prolonged immobility can result in deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This occurs when a blood clot forms, usually in the lower leg. This is a serious medical condition and needs treatment with blood thinning drugs or anticoagulants to prevent clots breaking off from the DVT and traveling to the lungs causing significant illness and, on rare occasions, death. 

Who is most at risk of deep vein thrombosis?
Those at increased risk include those with a history of thrombosis, those taking an oral contraceptive pill or pregnant, those recently hospitalized, smokers, the obese, some patients with congestive heart failure and people with malignant disease. Dehydration may exacerbate the problem. 

What can I do to reduce the risk?

• Periodic exercising of the feet and legs, or walking around where feasible, is advised to reduce the risk.
• Elastic stockings may be helpful.
• Drink plenty of non-alcoholic liquids to prevent dehydration.

Traveller's Tummy
It is not unusual for travelers to suffer from stomach illnesses when visiting foreign countries. Medical advice on such matters suggests that changes in temperature combined with a change of diet can cause stomach upsets. The tap water in many resorts has a higher mineral content than we are used to at home. This too can upset your stomach, so we always recommend the use of bottled water and avoid ice in drinks. In hot countries it is important to drink plenty of water to avoid the effects of dehydration. Always be sure that food is properly cooked and properly chilled, that salads and unpeeled fruits have been properly washed in purified water. If in doubt, don’t eat it.

Personal Safety
Whilst most resorts are generally safe, unfortunately crime exists wherever you may travel. With your personal safety in mind, it’s wise to take care and do as you would at home:
• Avoid walking alone at night and avoid unlit areas or the beach after dark.
• If you’re not sure where you are going and need directions, please ask your representative or reception for advice before going out.
• Use licensed taxis only and don’t accept lifts from strangers.
• Make sure that your room is left secure when you go out by locking all windows and doors.
• Please make use of any safety deposit box facilities; don’t carry your personal belongings around with you.
• Avoid carrying too much money (use credit cards where possible) or wearing obvious jewellery when you are out and about.
• Do not leave your handbags or any other baggage unattended at any time.
• Keep cameras and handbags close to you at all times – items swinging about can be easily snatched.
• If you are threatened or robbed, please do not attempt to resist or fight back.
• Do listen to safety advice given to you by your representative, they have your best interests in mind.


Our policy for travel to areas experiencing local disruption is determined by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice. Our tours will not depart during a period when the FCO are advising against non-essential travel. Once the FCO advice is relaxed, and therefore it is deemed safe to return to these areas, then tours will re-commence and will be subject to our normal booking conditions.



Updated 19 January 2016

There are currently no restrictions in the FCO travel advice for Turkey for any of the areas visited on VJV tours. Normal booking terms and conditions apply. We will continue to monitor the situation and ensure the safety of all our travellers. For the latest information, please visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.



Updated 25 July 2016

All our itineraries in Egypt are operating as planned. For the latest information, please visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website.




Updated 19 January 2016

The FCO are currently advising against all but essential travel to areas within 60km of the Kenya-Somali border, Garissa County, the Eastleigh area of Nairobi, Lamu County and those areas of Tana River County north of the Tana river itself, within 15km of the coast from the Tana River down to, but not including, Watamu. The Kenyan Safari does not visit these areas and will be operating normally. We will continue to monitor the situation and contact affected passengers as appropriate. For the latest information, please visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.


Email Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter and receive news, reviews, offers, competitions and more from Jules Verne.

Privacy Policy

request by post

Please note, brochures are delivered to addresses within the UK only, overseas visitors wishing to order a brochure please click here to view our brochures online.

From time to time, we may send you details of Voyages Jules Verne products (including new brochures), services, and news which we believe will be of interest to you.

Please tick if you do not wish to receive mailings and brochures from us

Please tick if you wish to receive the latest offers and late availability deals by email

Privacy Policy